Saturday 23 June 2012

Hackney Weekend

"You definitely, definitely want to go then? You wouldn't rather go into town and choose your birthday present? It said on the radio here were going to be 100,000 people there and five hour queues and 'airport style' security and you saw Jay Z at that ghastly Wireless thing that time... and Rihanna. I don't mind taking you if you really want to go but..."
"In the car."
"There's no parking there Ed. All the roads will be closed. It says to take the bus... or walk." 
"Daddy can drop us off. Then you can get the bus back straight away. Hurry up, the others are already there."
"Jeez! What time did they get up then? Anyway, I'm nowhere near ready." 
"You don't need to put make-up on. You're only getting me through the gates then you can go. No one's going to see you. I don't know why you're wearing those Wellingtons -there won't be time to get them muddy. You're not stopping. And you don't need an umbrella. You're only going to be there five minutes. Then you're LEAVING. It's stupid that fourteen-year-olds have to be with an adult. We're not babies."
"You're thirteen. Ready?...."
.
.
.
"There's no way I'll be able to stay in this queue. It goes on for miles. I can't see the end of it. I need a wee already." 
"Shush."
"And I'm thirsty. And hungry."
"Be quiet."
"As soon as we get in there we're looking for the ladies." 
"No we're not. We're looking for my friends. Then you can go home to use the toilet."
.
.
.
"Bye then."
"Bye. Sure you're okay?"
"I'm fine. Bye... Actually, Mummy, can you go and get me one of those T shirts with the line-up on the back? I'll wait here."
"Okay."
"Hang on. Can you get me a wrist band as well? A purple one. Please."
"Right."
.
.
.
"Where have you been?"
"Traipsing round this place for hours. I bumped into quite a few people I know. Here you are."
"Bye then."
"Text me later."
"Wait! We need drinks but we can't get them coz we'll lose our place. Coke please."
"I'll get you some water as well. See you in a bit."
.
.
.


"Here take these."
"I thought you'd left. You've been ages."
"I had a row with them. I asked for three waters and three cokes and they said they had to take the lids off all of them. F*** knows why. I've spilt half of it on the way back. Can I go home now please."
"After you've given me some money."



































No comments:

Post a Comment